Chicken & Rice "Casserole"
I often crave comfort foods. Good, delicious, southern comfort food. And meals like this often sound good when my stomach has been acting up and hurting, which it has been this last couple of weeks. But, I decided to kick it up a notch with nutrients by adding cauliflower and broccoli! Trust me, it's a great casserole-like dish.
Chicken and Rice "Casserole"
Addie Roberts | July 18th, 2018
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 50-55 minutes
- Total time: 60-65 minutes
Servings: 5-6 servings
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb chicken
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Salt + pepper
- Bring the 2 cups of chicken broth to a boil. Once boiling, add the 1/2 cup of brown rice and cook for 30-35 minutes, until most of the broth is absorbed (cook with lid on, over low heat)
- Meanwhile, add the 1 Tbsp olive oil to a skillet on the stove over medium heat. Once pan is hot, add chicken to pan and cover with a lid and cook until chicken is cooked all the way through (165 degrees F or 10 minutes on each side)...if you cook chicken over too high of a heat setting, it will become crispy and will not mix as well in the casserole
- Once chicken is cooked thoroughly, remove from the heat and shred with two forks
- Finely chop the cauliflower and broccoli
- After rice has been cooked for about 30-35 minutes and most of the liquid is absorbed, add the finely chopped cauliflower and broccoli and the 1 Tbsp of butter to the pot with the rice, and replace the lid and cook for another 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes, add the parmesan cheese and the shredded chicken to the pot. Replace lid and cook for another 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and broccoli and cauliflower are tender