This girl BIG time loves bagels. I mean BIG BIG. They're not the healthiest morning option, especially with all that (delicious) cream cheese! But sometimes baking is therapeutic to me. And honestly I wanted to see if I could pull off making bagels! I remember learning about the complicated process in my undergraduate food science courses and thought I would take a shot at it. Food is fun, y'all.
(Recipe inspiration from http://warmvanillasugar.com/2016/02/19/montreal-bagels/ AND https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/6795-montreal-bagels )
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 packages of yeast
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup liquid honey
- 5 1/2 cups of flour
- poppy seeds for topping
1. Proof yeast per instructions on package using the warm water, sugar, and yeast.
2. After yeast has proofed, dump into a large bowl. Add salt, whole egg, egg yolk, oil and liquid honey. Mix well.
3. Add 5 cups of flour and slowly combine, either with a dough attachment on a mixture or a large spoon + hand kneading.
4. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic. ~ 3-5 minutes.
5. Add more flour to prevent dough from sticking.
6. Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover bowl with dish towel, and let rise for 20 minutes.
7. Divide dough into 16-18 equal portions. Shape into bagel by elongating each portion into a coil. Fold ends over each other and roll until the ring is solid, pressing the ends together with fingers.
8. Place bagel dough onto a cookie sheet and let stand for 15 minutes.
9. Preheat oven to 450 degrees and bring a large pot of water to a boil.
10. Fill a bowl with poppy seeds, or seeds of choice.
11. Place a dish towel on the counter next to the boiling pot of water.
12. Once the water is boiling, using a slotted spoon, add three bagels to the water at a time. As they rise, turn them over. Boil about 1 minute on each side. Place on dish towel to remove excess water, quickly dip into poppy seed bowl, and place back on baking sheet.
13. Continue boiling bagels until all are done.
14. Place baking sheet of boiled bagels into over for 20-22 minutes or until medium brown.