Homemade Sushi with Peanut Sauce
Raise your hand if you're also obsessed with sushi!! I just cringe when I have to go pay $10+ for it, am I right?
I remember a few years back my sister, Landon, taught me how to roll my own sushi and I just recently decided to try it again. I got all of my ingredients from Whole Foods for this (mainly just because I could not find a sushi mat anywhere else). Don't be scared! My rolls are not pretty like the pros, but they taste good no matter what. And the sauce was inspired by 1) my PB obsession ("ok enough already we get it") and 2) my desire to use dates in anything and everything based on their super powers (blog post to come soon).
***Also you can't tell but they're on my pineapple cutting board my sweet boyfriend handcrafted for me - HOW COOL is he? We'll keep him.
Ingredients for 1 Roll:
- 8 fully cooked shrimp
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup sliced cucumber
- 1 cup sushi rice (I got mine from Whole Foods Market), cooked
- 1 seaweed sheet (I got mine from Whole Foods Market)
- 1 bamboo sushi rolling mat (Again, Whole Foods Market)
Ingredients for Sauce:
- 3 tbsp ground peanuts
- 1 date
- 1 tsp sriracha
1. Cook sushi rice per instructions
2. Place seaweed sheet onto bamboo mat. Add rice onto seaweed sheet and spread to edges, covering the entire sheet.
3. Flip the seaweed over to where the rice is now face down on the bamboo mat.
4. Line shrimp, avocado, cucumber, and carrots horizontally at the bottom of the seaweed sheet.
5. Once ingredients are in place, slowly roll upwards. To roll, use both hands and bamboo mat for assistance. Make sure the roll is tight so ingredients stay in place.
6. Remove bamboo mat, cut roll into slices.
7. Blend sauce ingredients together to desired consistency. Top rolls with sauce and ENJOY.