This week I decided "I want something extra cheesy....." And thus this homemade lasagna recipe was whipped up. I'm not going to lie, I've never made lasagna before and I really didn't know what I was doing. The homemade sauce was very impromptu but I seriously love this lasagna and will definitely be making it again soon!!
2 tomatoes, diced
2 tomatoes, sliced thin
3/4 cup chopped basil
2 Tbsp olive oil
Salt + pepper
16 oz moz cheese
1/2 cup water
Lasagna sheet noodles
16 oz ricotta cheese
1 eggplant sliced
3 cups spinach
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and slice and dice all vegetables
2. Place diced tomatoes, water, salt, pepper, and basil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Cook until boiling. (I was generous with the salt here because it's the only place you use salt in the recipe)
3. Once the mixture is boiling, remove the liquid rom the heat and place in a blender (yes, a blender). Blend until it is a soup consistency
4. Place the mixture back over medium heat and continue to boil
5. Add 1 cup of mozzarella cheese to the mixture and cover. Heat slowly until the cheese melts and creates a cheese-tomato sauce.
6. Once the sauce is finish, pour ~1/4 cup on the bottom of a 13x9 pan
7. Layer with 4-5 lasagna noodles, 1/3 cup ricotta cheese (spread out), tomato slices (~6), eggplant slices (~9...refer to picture), and 1 cup of chopped spinach.
8. Sprinkle a small amount of the remaining mozzarella cheese on top of this layer and then repeat starting with the 1/4 cup of sauce. I made 3 full layers and topped it with and remaining vegetables and the remaining mozzarella cheese.
9. Let stand for 20 minutes for lasagna noodles to begin to soften
10. Bake for 45 minutes, covered in foil for the first 20 minutes may be best.
11. After it is done cooking, let it stand for another 20 minutes before cutting and serving.