Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls
Minimally sugary, and whole wheat. Best of all, I was able to whip these together in about 30 minutes on a Saturday morning. And they're DELICIOUS!! Don't be intimidated when using yeast, just follow the instructions on the package! Temperature is key. Knead dough until elastic, but over kneading will create a tough dough! Confidence is key, y'all..you got this. HAPPY BAKING HAPPY EASTER HAPPY WEEKEND.
3/4 cup water
1 tsp sugar
1 packet instant rise yeast
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp coconut oil
3 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 tsp milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x9" or circle pan.
2. Heat water to 120-130 degrees F, or as instructed on the yeast package. Add yeast and sugar to a bowl with the warm water and allow to proof for 15 minutes.
3. While yeast is proofing, combine filling ingredients into a small, separate bowl and set aside.
4. Once yeast mixture is down proofing, add remaining dough ingredients and knead until mixed well. About 3-5 minutes. The dough should be elastic feeling!
5. Once kneaded, roll out dough into a rectangle (about 9x13 ish). Dough should be about 1/8-1/4 inch thick.
6. Pour liquid filling mixture onto the rolled out dough and spread to the edges.
7. Roll dough lengthwise ("hotdog" rolling, not "hamburger"...lol).
8. Cut dough into rolls (about 1-2 inches thick) and place into the greased pan. Don't worry if your filling mixture leaks out, just spoon it on top!!
9. Let stand to rise in baking dish for about 5-10 minutes (not necessary, but will be fluffier if you have time!)
10. Bake for 15 minutes.
11. While baking, mix together icing ingredients
12. After baked, let sit for 5 minutes before icing.